Re: [CQ-Contest] Assisted

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Assisted
From: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@ku8e.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 22:31:24 -0400
Yuri,

You really need to compare the

1) A boy with Flex 6600, KT36XA (tribander) and dipoles and/or Inv. L's at 80'

OR

2) A boy with Kenwood TS-830S, TA33jr at 40' and low dipoles.

WITH

3) Someone with multiple towers with mono-band yagis on 40-10 meters and maybe a 4 square on 80 and a full size vertical or more on 160.

Of course #1 and #2 are close to being equal but neither of these are close to #3. Maybe Google the calls that are near the top in the weekly CWT's, NS and NAQP and you will find those who have the highest scores have a station that would be more like #3. But those that are stuck with a station you described for #1 and #2 are grouped into the same category as #3. Is that really fair?

Bottom line is I think what people are asking is that there should be a tri-bander/wires category so those people in #1 and #2 don't have to compete directly again #3. I guess I don't see what the big deal is to add another category. Do you think it would be fair for a F1 race car to compete again a NASCAR? It wouldn't even be close. You could use this same analogy when comparing antennas.

Jeff