Re: [CQ-Contest] e: Fwd: [wsjtgroup] WSJT-X 2.1.0-rc6

To: Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] e: Fwd: [wsjtgroup] WSJT-X 2.1.0-rc6
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2019 14:38:13 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Roger,

The power available at the receiving end of 19th century transatlantic
cables was so feeble that it couldn't possibly be detected by an undulator.
William Thomson, later knighted as Lord Kelvin, invented the mirror
galvanometer in 1857 for use on the first transatlantic telegraph cable.

The syphon recorder replaced Thomson’s mirror galvanometer as the
standard receiving instrument for submarine telegraph cables about
ten years later.

Good descriptions of these early submarine telegraph instruments
are here:

http://atlantic-cable.com/Article/Instruments/index.htm

73
Frank