Re: [CQ-Contest] Tower Safety

To: "'Edward Sawyer'" <EdwardS@sbelectronics.com>, "'Kevan Nason'" <knason00@gmail.com>, "'CQ Contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Tower Safety
From: "Doug Renwick" <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 10:44:50 -0600
Ed,
Thanks for reinforcing the point that a full body harness may not be saving
tower climber lives. I agree, lets hear of where a full body harness saved a
life and importantly the circumstances. When this same topic came up some
time ago I asked the same question and got no replies. There must be data
some where with the professional tower climbers.

To balance that, let's also hear where wearing a full body harness did not
save a life.
I subscribe to the Wireless Estimator where tower fatalities are discussed.
I don't have the figures but I would say these fatalities are non harness
issues because of the government regulations requiring the wearing of safety
equipment. Failure to stay connected to the tower while working on a tower
is not a harness issue.

The second question should be how many lives are lost while in the process
of climbing as compared to lives lost while working on the tower. If the
tower collapses while in the climbing process would a full body harness save
you?

I know one case where the climber dropped all the guy lines and at above the
70 foot level, an extension of the tower top went over and he fell to his
death. A full body harness would not have saved him. I ended up buying that
tower and taking it down.

I bet that many more lives are lost involving ladders. Sure more people
climb ladders than towers. So where is the outcry?

Some of the comments are just virtue signalling. Let's dig deep to find the
truth as revelling as it may be.

Doug

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein