Re: [CQ-Contest] World Wide Digi DX Contest Results

To: Edward Sawyer <EdwardS@sbelectronics.com>, Stanley Zawrotny <k4sbz.stan@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] World Wide Digi DX Contest Results
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 16:54:52 -0700

Well, since you asked ...

I didn't do the WW-Digi because of heavy lightning (summer monsoons here in southern Arizona), but I did do the FT Roundup in December and it WOULD have been a lot of fun except for limitations that I've mentioned before:

1.  Combining FT8 and FT4 was a terrible idea.  It split the activity,  caused lots of confusion,  and generated a ridiculous amount of dupes.

2.  The requirement for no more than two off periods (not the case for WW-Digi but is also the case for ARRL RTTY) does not add to strategy like the sponsors claim.  It makes unforeseen breaks totally ruin whatever operating strategy you may have had.

3.  WSJT-X has a bad habit about 10% of the time of not logging the received report for one or more stations when juggling more than one.  It ruins runs to have to go back to find and then manually enter the report.

The activity level was pretty high, though, and runs on FT4 at times were pretty hectic.  It is not at all as simple as point and click when you are juggling multiple contacts at the same time because some stations are popping in and out of the decode range.

In my opinion, FT4 as a mode is every bit as legitimate as RTTY, with much better sensitivity and far better spectrum use.  If the activity levels were similar a competent operator could achieve FT4 rates comparable to RTTY.  The problem is that currently WSJT-X is a poor user interface for contesting and it's an even worse logger/scorer.  Somebody needs to take the core engine of WSJT-X and wrap an actual contesting UI around it ... ideally a generalized one (preferably just for FT4) that feeds specialized contest formats in N1MM+ or something like that, just like MMTTY does for RTTY.

Some people say that the FTx modes are going to go away.  The only way that happens is if something better shows up.  I was scanning the bands immediately prior to this past weekend's NAQP CW contest to check for propagation, and 20m FT8 was loaded with QSOs while for a full fifteen minutes (no exaggeration) there was not a single CW signal.  Most evenings this past week I am able to work literally dozens of Europeans on 160m FT8 from here in southern Arizona (admittedly with high power) without hearing a single CW signal.

Here are some reasons why, in my opinion, FT4 would be attractive to a wide base for contesting, at least compared to RTTY:

1.  Everybody operates split, or at least would if the UI mandated locked transmit frequency.  I fail to see the rationale for WSJT-X allowing a caller to jump to the CQ frequency.

2.  There is little difference between run and S&P, which is a big advantage for more casual operators ... thereby encouraging more activity.

3.  Copy either there or it isn't.  As long as a signal is strong enough to be decoded it prints, which tends to level the playing field between big stations and lesser ones.

4.  FT4 handles QRM better, especially relative to the bandwidth required.

5.  FT4 is sensitive, opening up more activity both geographically and station-wise.

I find FT8 to be frustratingly slow, but I'm convinced that FT4 has major advantages ... it's just not being used properly for contesting yet.  I think it's important to distinguish between FT8/4 as a mode and WSJT-X as an implementation.

73,
Dave   AB7E