Re: [CQ-Contest] World Wide Digi DX Contest Results.

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] World Wide Digi DX Contest Results.
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 09:13:21 -0500
K4SBZ writes:
>  In any case, it is
> the operator who makes the decision not to log the QSO. No QSOs are
> automatically not logged. And the next action requires the operator to
> manually select another callsign to call or send CQ. There is no chaining
> of contacts.
> The problem is that the operators have become so accustomed to the prompt
> to log a QSO when 73 is sent that they think it is a requirement.

I originally had some thoughts like you. Folks unfamiliar with logging
details or imagining a requirement for a 73 might have been the source of
most of the NIL's.

Then I asked Ed to send me my LCR and I looked it over. Most of the NIL's
given by me or given to me, were with other well-known multi-mode
contesters, not with newbies. So there goes my theory that it was newbies
racking up the NIL's.

It just IS HARDER to figure out whether a QSO was complete or not on
FT4/FT8. All the clues that even a beginning contester learns quickly, as
to whether the QSO is complete, or not complete, are simply lacking in
FT4/FT8. We make our best guess based on what the computer decodes or does
not decode, maybe try an extra cycle or two to see if we can tease out the
confirmation we are looking for, decide whether to log it or not, and
compared to other modes, that guess is several times more fallible.

And it wasn't just newbies. Even for very experienced multi mode
contesters, that guess is several times more fallible in FT4/FT8 than for
other modes.

Adding extra confirmation steps on top of the existing confirmation steps?
That'd just make the NIL rate worse because those are more opportunities
for things to get lost in the noise and QRM!

There are several contests out there (NAQP comes to mind but I'm sure there
are others) where NIL's do not result in any penalty, just the loss of
credit for that Q. I think the WW Digi organizers were wise to chose this
approach in scoring.

Tim N3QE