Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest within a contest

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest within a contest
From: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 15:50:50 +0000 (UTC)
Denis,

I think your scoring scheme has a critical flaw:  the points for each qso
depend on basically arbitrary zone boundaries, and the zone boundaries in some
cases divide up countries with lots of entries (like the USA). For example, a
station on the western edge of zone 5 would get 3 points for working Europe in
zone 14. A station one mile away in the eastern part of zone 4 gets 4 points
for the same contact.

The IARU contest also has this problem because of the 1 point/3 points for
same/different zones. I live in western zone 8 close to zone 7. There are many
more zone 8 stations active than zone 7 stations in IARU. If I was just a
little further west my score would go up significantly.

Tor N4OGW

On Sunday, March 15, 2020, 9:13:56 PM CDT, Denis Pochuev K7GK