Re: [CQ-Contest] Polar path handicapping

To: billamader@gmail.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Polar path handicapping
From: K8MR via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 18:51:43 +0000 (UTC)
 While polar path handicapping is interesting, it still fails to account for a
major East Coast advantage: the number of hours of mutual daylight and darkness
to Europe.

Even with low absorption, the extra 45 minutes the eastern W1's get vs. us in
Ohio is significant. Especially on SSB, where being able to get a good run
frequency matters big time. And of course that advantage is even bigger vs.
people further west.

I had a little taste of this last summer when I did the IARU while visiting on
Cape Cod, running 100 watts with a HamStick on the car (I was comfortably
inside the house running on AC power, just a coax out to the car). I had a
great half hour window on 40 as the sun was setting where just about every EU
station, including lots of HQ stations, came right back to me. After that, it
was about what one would expect on 40 with 100 watts and an 7 foot vertical.

73  -  Jim   K8MR