Re: [CQ-Contest] How to fix CATV ground problems during T-storms

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How to fix CATV ground problems during T-storms
From: "Dennis Younker NE6I" <NE6I@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2020 19:30:42 -0700
Dennis, I would suggest inspecting the CATV ground system at your house.
Make sure connections are solid and clean. Check where the CATV ground wire
has been run. It should be bonded to its own ground rod or bonded to the
electrical system ground. The attachment at the other end of the ground
should be prior to any splitters, and typically near where the drop arrives
at the home.

If you see anything amiss, I suggest you call your cable operator.

Of course, there could be an issue with grounding out at the pole (I presume
your area is fed with overhead lines versus underground). You could of
course check some of those poles yourself if inclined. It's possible a
ground wire has corroded or been knocked loose.

Lightning strike damage is hard to pinpoint as to cause.

--Dennis NE6I