Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 210, Issue 9

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 210, Issue 9
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 14:20:01 -0700
On 6/4/2020 11:50 AM, giwagner@k5kg.com wrote:
I had a Comcast tech come to the house.  He discovered
that my cable ground was loosely attached to a painted surface. He removed
that one and put on a more substantial one directly to a ground rod.

He needs to learn NEC, which requires that ALL grounds in a facility be bonded together. So do the telco guys. As Frank has noted, failure to do this is a recipe for blowing up equipment. Ditto for shunt-mode (MOV) surge protectors on branch circuits. They fine as whole house protectors if properly installed, but the ONLY safe protectors on branch circuits are SERIES-MODE, made by Surge-X. I use their model SA-20; the SX1120RT is another good choice. They're not cheap, but neither is the gear that they protect.

The difference bet series mode and shunt mode is addressed beginning on page 28 of http://k9yc.com/SurgeXPowerGround.pdf

73, Jim K9YC