Re: [CQ-Contest] [Contest] 2020 June VHF Contest

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [Contest] 2020 June VHF Contest
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2020 23:28:14 +0100
On 09/06/2020 22:23, Jim K9YC wrote:

<snip>

I see little difference between the attitude expressed in this post and those who, in the '50s and '60s, refused to switch to that new-fangled SSB.

I also fail to see how FT8 differs from RTTY implemented by stations using, for example, N1MM or WriteLog with multiple decoder windows in which one simply clicks on a callsign to start an automated QSO and clicks on the report to enter it into the log.

Perhaps someone could explain the difference.

Jim is right - there is no significant difference.  As described, both FT8 and RTTY represent automated machine-decoded data modes. All the more reason, I suggest, to refrain from combining either with SSB/CW in individual contests.

73,
Paul EI5DI