[CQ-Contest] Logging quirks with WSJT-X

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Logging quirks with WSJT-X
From: Terry Zivney <n4tz@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 17:06:25 +0000 (UTC)
I operated the ARRL VHF QSO party sporadically this past weekend.
I noticed some quirks in the logging process.  I was justusing the barebones
WSJT-X 2.10 program, as I'm suremany casual FT-8 contesters might.
There appear to be 3 different logs kept within WSJT-X.There is the wsjtx.log
file and the wsjtx_log.adi filewhich are used for all QSOs. There is also a
.cbr filecreated when you use the contest mode under the Advancedtab for
special operating activity.
These 3 logs do not agree!!!!!!!
I made 106 QSOs in total. Four of the QSOs in the wsjt.logfile were not in the
.cbr file.  An additional three QSOswere in the  wsjtx_log.adi file that  were
not in the wsjtx.log file.
Some of these problems appeared to occur when the otherham was not using the
contest mode (this included a QSOwith a major HF MM player). I switched to the
regularmode to complete the QSO, but logging that QSO did notenter it into the
.cbr file.  I have no idea why therewere 3 QSOs in the wsjtx_log.adi file that
did not makeit into the wsjtx.log file.
These problems occurred with both the FT8 and FT4 modes.
Since I find it easier and more natural to cut theprograms Cabrillo output for
submission, that processalone could account for a 7 percent error rate ina
supposedly error-proof QSO.
Terry N4TZ