Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Changes for the CQ WW WPX SSB and CW Contests in

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Changes for the CQ WW WPX SSB and CW Contests in
From: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@ku8e.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 16:16:42 -0500
Ed,

I think you're right since WPX is more of a run contest because everyone can work everyone. Multipliers are important but most find you when you're running.

Here are some stats I calculated using the 2020 CQ WPX SSB and 2020 CQ WPX CW contests. This was calculated using the CQ WPX scores database.

Number of scores above 500K (Which I would figure is a mediocre effort)

CQ WPX SSB

254 of 1178 SOUn HP entries had a score above 500 K

88 of 3018 SOUn LP entries had a score above 500 K

381 of 1378 SOA HP entries had a score above 500 K

84 of 1243 SOA LP entries had a score above 500 K

CQ WPX CW

349 of 864 SOUn HP entries had a score above 500 K

201 of 1842 SOUn LP entries had a score above 500 K

565 of 1207 SOA HP entries had a score above 500 K

257 of 1201 SOA LP entries had a score above 500 K

I think what this data shows is there is still a great number of stations that don't do SOA. I think you also have to take into consideration that many stations that operate these contests aren't really serious contesters. I don't think there is any justification based on the data to get rid of the SO Unassisted category.

Jeff KU8E