Re: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: TX CW “splatter” - context -contests

To: PHILIP ALLARDICE via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: TX CW “splatter” - context -contests
From: Michael Ritz <w7vo@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 12:14:31 -0700 (PDT)
I certainly noticed a LOT of issues with loud and wide key-clicks in the recent
WPX CW contest. Some were as much as 2-3 kHz away from the carrier.

Now, at the risk of getting flamed and knowing there are some that think the
ARRL should keep their noses out of things, the Board's Programs and Services
Committee (PSC) has recognized the transmitter/amplifier "cleanliness" problem,
and is in the process of putting together a committee, that will include
well-known subject matter experts, to develop an initiative to help with the
situation. The initiative will be a combination of working with radio and
amplifier manufacturers, and the contesting community, to set new transmit
cleanliness standards, and have the ARRL Lab test and certify new gear to
ensure compliance to these standards. Along with this is an education campaign
to teach new contesters how to set their equipment up to ensure a clean signal.

In a way the ARRL Lab is already working on this. Reference the recent June
issue of QST, and the "Lab Notes" side bar in the Yaesu FT-DX10 review on page
45. Even though I haven't spoken with Ed Hare, W1RFI, in the lab yet, I was
VERY glad to see that notation there. It shows that the fast CW rise time issue
is recognized by the lab as an issue! The result was that the crew in the Lab
worked with Yaesu change the CW rise-time default setting to something slower
to minimize clicks. A step in the right direction!

Now we need to take things to the next step and formalize it, along with other
transmitter parameters.

I expect this to get this committee formally kicked off after the July ARRL
Board meeting.

(Fire suit on) - Comments?

73;
Mike