Re: [CQ-Contest] "please copy" - aarrggghhh!

To: john@kk9a.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] "please copy" - aarrggghhh!
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 04:58:40 -0500
Excellent post by N6KT.

We operate contests for our own enjoyment.  A small amount of enjoyment comes
with every caller.  It doesn’t bother me in the least if someone on CW uses
/QRP after their call sign or whether they spend an extra one second saying
“please copy” on phone before the exchange.

If I had to identify contacts that were less enjoyable than average it would be
those where the station was running QRP and it took three repeats to copy the
exchange or ones who knew they were probably 20 over 9 and repeated my call
sign and their exchange multiple times during the contact.  More enjoyable are
ones when KR2Q or K7SS, running QRP, call with perfect timing with a signal
that may be 15 dB weaker than the average signal in the pile up and the contact
happens faster than average.

However, a single instance of scolding someone on the air or refusing to work
them for not executing a contact the way you prefer is way worse than all the
please copies uttered by all stations combined.

This thread needs a good choke.

Stan, ZF9CW