Re: [CQ-Contest] : Re: NAQP CW - Rules Changes Needed

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] : Re: NAQP CW - Rules Changes Needed
From: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 14:22:37 -0500
I have to wonder how much of a participant change adding this category would actually make.  The argument being made is that guys are driven to an assisted operation due to skill or location or shack limitations.  And the argument goes, that if they can't have a assisted category, then they will tend not to come out and play.

But I personally find that hard to believe on the whole - that guys are actually making the decision not to participate because they can't report a score truthfully in the assisted category.

What is more believable to me is that those guys who want to join are already participating, and using assistance as they prefer, and just not reporting a score.  Or reporting a score - and ignoring the assistance category issue.  If so, I don't think it meaningfully dilutes the top scoring results because guys with these skill/location/shack limitations are going to have a tough time getting into the box.

While adding an assisted category may increase log submissions, my guess is that guys wanting to run assisted are already doing so and are already joining in the fray.  Meaning participation patterns at the aggregate level will be about where they are now.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com