Re: [CQ-Contest] What to do with old QSL cards?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What to do with old QSL cards?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 12:06:02 -0700
On 7/2/2022 3:54 AM, K3TN via CQ-Contest wrote:
For JA cards, I think there was a sushi preparation guide, too.

Contesting from W6, I could use JA bureau cards for landfill. Moving here from Chicago in 2006, I responded to bureau cards for new bands for 5-10 years. UNTIL I learned that there was a JA award for the number of cards received -- if I worked a station five times in a contest, I'd get five cards, all computer printed. That's when I put a notice on my qrz page that I respond to NO bureau cards from JA. I've since expanded that to not sending paper cards for any QSO that's confirmed on not on LOTW.

Contesters, especially expeditioners, fail to realize that many of the little guys working them are doing so for band-country DXCC credits. LOTW is cheap and easy, while paper cards are hard and expensive, especially with a QSL mgr in countries where postage is expensive, like Spain. Having moved from W9 to W6 in 2006, I started over on all awards, including DXCC, realizing that counting W9/W8 QSOS for DXCC would be cheating. I spent FAR too many dollars on paper cards that should have been in LOTW, and the QSOs that WERE in LOTW saved me enough money to buy a K3 and a P3.

73, Jim K9YC