Re: [CQ-Contest] Suggestion for the ARRL June VHF contest

To: Ed Kucharski <k3dne@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Suggestion for the ARRL June VHF contest
From: Stan Zawrotny <k4sbz.stan@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 16:36:06 -0400
In following this discussion, one would think that the ARRL, CQ and the
IARU are the only organizations that sponsor contests, so they can schedule
contests whenever they want. As one  who enters contests other than
sponsored by those organizations, I would like to point out that there are
2-5 contests every weekend, sponsored by clubs such as 10-10, state QSO
parties and contests from other countries (check out the WA7BNM Contest
Calendar). Most contest sponsors avoid scheduling contests on weekends when
there is one from the ARRL or CQ because they would attract fewer
contestants. Scheduling back-to-back-to-back contests along with Field Day
would wipe out June for anyone else to have an event. Adding two more
contests anytime of the year would jam up an already crowded calendar.
Please remember that the USA is not alone on this planet. The state QSO
parties already feel jammed trying to get 47 contests in the current 52
week calendar while avoiding the major events.

I concur with most of the other comments opposed to multiple contests.

In most contests, the operators are challenging others using the same mode.
SSB ops don't normally compare their scores with CW categories. Maintaining
categories for each mode, plus mixed, creates and atmosphere of four
separate contests (SSB, CW, Digital and Mixed) running concurrently. 34 of
the state QSO parties are able to work with those category distinctions for
modes.

I think the analog/digital division is not a good idea because it combines
CW and SSB, forcing SSB to compete with CW while digital has its own
"sub-contest."

Contest ebulliently,
Stan, K4SBZ