[CQ-Contest] CQ-CONTEST history post from 30 years ago

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ-CONTEST history post from 30 years ago
From: K3TN via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 22:53:39 +0000 (UTC)
>From Trey Garlough <GARLOUGH@TGV.COM>  Wed Sep 22 16:48:05 1993
From: Trey Garlough <GARLOUGH@TGV.COM> (Trey Garlough)
Subject: Administrative Note

First a historical note:

The CQ-Contest mailing list started as a project with a few fellow
contesters who had Internet access and who wanted to discuss
contesting in a less painful forum than the net.ham-radio net.news
group.  The initial subscribers were WN4KKN, KM3T and WB2EKK.  The
initial setup of the list was delayed about two weeks while we tried
to think up a name for it.  We picked up a few more folks along the
way before WB2EKK sent an invitation to join the list to every ham in
the entire world he knew of who had an email address -- at the time
about 20 people.  These were the days that messages to CQ-Contest
numbered 15 per month rather than 15 per day.  This was sometime in
early 1991.  In early 1992 I stared saving these messages, as if
anyone would ever want to read them a second time.

In late 1992 (I think), WB2EKK took the contest mailing list public
in his column in the NCJ.  The CQ-Contest mailing list now has about
300 direct subscribers in 15 DXCC countries and an unkown number of
readers via redistribution channels.  The is not so surprising when
considered in the context of the Internet itself, which is growing
at the rate of 40% per *month.*

73 John K3TN (ex WB2EKK)