Re: [CQ-Contest] QRZ Button

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QRZ Button
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 21:36:23 -0300
Hey All,

This thread has mostly run its course I think but I think one more post from me
and I’ll be done. It’s clear there is some difference of opinion on using the
qrz.com button mid-contest.  I disagree but can respect that folks have
different opinions.

As I said over on the N1MM reflector before Art, K3KU and I moved the topic
here…..the one and only reason

I replied there (and regurgitated it here) was for newer guys with little to no
experience reading the comments about emailing people for details/fills after
the contest and/or using the QRZ button during a contest for a fill(long after
the QSO has taken place...or post contest even).

That’s most certainly against the rules.  We all started somewhere and normally
I would not say a word (what you do in your shack is your own business) however
some 5000 folks are subscribed to that reflector, many of them brand new
contesters, Worldwide.  I could not sit idly by “allowing” them to think that’s
ok but I do realize Tom’s reflector should be concentrating on software
problems relating to N1MMLogger+ and not debating our hobbies ethics.

I dare say most seem to be in agreement that it’s a radio contest…so if you
miss it during the QSO, you either ask for it right then or you’ve missed it
and you need to move on.

In the end we must all make up our own minds of what constitutes “fair and
ethical” contesting, so I’ll say again:

Watch the K1DG video…It pretty much covered 98% of the scenarios that come up.
Look up rule #6 for the SPTDC.

Use good judgement.

CU (all of a sudden!) in the next one.

Mike VE9AA “NB”