Re: [CQ-Contest] Overrlay Categories

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Overrlay Categories
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 13:07:24 -0800
On 12/4/2023 12:10 PM, Stan Zawrotny wrote:
Instead, I would like to see an
overlay of just wires. The current overlay combines wires with tribanders.

At the suggestion of a group of contesters, the ARRL Contest Advisory Council proposed, and ARRL adopted, Rules for a limited antenna category for ARRL contests. This change was adopted this year.

Tribanders have a great advantage over wires -- they can rotate.

There is also a significant advantage to height, most pronounced on the lower bands. Raising a horizontal 40M antenna from 33 ft to 67 ft is good for 6 dB below 25 degrees elevation, making a 40M dipole a few dB better than a 2-el Yagi, and we pick up another 3dB below 15 degrees by raising it to 120 ft.

For most of us, this only helps for TX, because we're surrounded by noise. Rotating antennas also help with RX by rejecting off-axis noise sources.

73, Jim K9YC