CT and ICOM 738

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: CT and ICOM 738
From: TOM.F.POLAND@uswmis.sprint.com (TOM.F.POLAND@uswmis.sprint.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 15:54:52 -0500

I am trying to get my IC-738 to play with CT v. 9.13, so far without success.

I have the following status:

Data is getting from the radio to the computer- I've used BASIC and two
different comm programs to verify this, so at least on 'radio data tx', the
CT-17 is working ok. I don't know what commands to send the radio, so I can't
test its ability to receive data.

I am using com1, 4800 Baud, E71.  Although I am sure the 738 on power up menu
has the baud rate set correctly, the received data looks strange. I don't have
any Icom documentation that tells me what this should be. Numbers in the data
do change as I tune the radio, but it is not coming out in ASCII.  Some
combinations of parity, data and stop bits obviously don't work, as nothing
recognizable results; thus I stuck with E71.  The computer is a Compaq Contura
3/25 laptop.

CT responds with 'Icom radio timeout'.  I have 'none' set for flow control.
Other baud rates have the same result.  I beleive I've loaded the comtsr1
properly, using default int, irq and port. In CT I've selected 'IC737' for
RADIO1, as this seemed the most likely match.

I am not sure what the setting of the 738 menu selection 'CI-731' should be,
on or off. It seems that this alters the data format. CT times out in either
case.

Right now I've run out of other things to try.  Can anyone offer some
suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Tom R3/N9NC
tom.f.poland@uswmis.sprint.com

WWW:                      http://ve7tcp.ampr.org/Lists/ct-user.html