SS and new college club

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: SS and new college club
From: acameron@hayden.edu (Dr. Allan Cameron, N7UJJ)
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 16:40:45 -0700

CARL HAYDEN COMMUNITY HIGH SCHOOL declares itself a COLLEGE

In order to be eligible to compete in the second annual Collegiate contest
to be held during the ARRL sweepstakes, Allan Cameron, Ph.D., N7UJJ, OM, ET2
and other pompus sounding initials,  declares that our school does, in fact,
meet several definitions of a college,

Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, 1973 (Sure its old, but it stll works)
 College:
   2: a building used for an educational or religious purpose;
   3b: a preparatory or high school;
   3e: an institution offering instruction usu. in  a professional,
vocational, or technical field.

Thus we declare ourselves a college:
    Carl Hayden Community High School & College

Now that we are a college, our students will be spending the weekend at
school to participate in the SS phone contest, at our club station, KC7KFF,
in downtown Phoenix, Arizona.  We may be an inner city public school, but
I'll bet we are the higest scoring college in the southwest!  I know we can
beat Arizona State University!

Our amateur radio club president, sixteen year old James McDonald, KC7EFP
(an extra class, yet), and a few others who have participated in contests
before (school roundup, field day) will be joined by new students in our
club.(potentisl new contesters).  We will have two stations set up (only one
on the air at a time) and a computer network with CT and extra kids as
"spotters".  Although no beer will be consumed, we expect to consume a large
number of pizzas, Mountain Dew, and have a ball.  We also will do our best
to outscore all the other colleges and universities.

BTW we have a web page: www.hayden.edu
You might be interested not only in our ham club (an ARRL Special Service
club), but our computer science department, and our electric race car
program that is displayed on the home page.

We will be listening for ya
 "CQ test CQ test Kilo Charlie Seven Kilo Fox Fox.."

     * Allan Cameron, N7UJJ               *
     * Carl Hayden Community High School  *
     * Phoenix, Arizona 85009             *
     * (602)271-2413 Fax(602)271-2469     *