More on Laser printers & CT

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: More on Laser printers & CT
From: fabry@BASISinc.com (Bob Fabry--N6EK)
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 1995 16:28:25 -0800

>* There is a new startup switch -HP. When invoked, this causes CT to write
>logs with the PCL4 codes for compressed and uncompressed printing. Use this
>with your HP printers.

It also works with HP compatible laser printers, which means essentially all
laser printers.  This affects the dupe sheet only.  What happens is that CT,
for each page,  selects 10 pitch, prints the title, selects 16 pitch, prints
the calls, and leaves the printer at 10 pitch when it is done.

Compression gives you ten columns of calls and 500 calls on each page.
Without using the -HP feature one can to type UNCOMPRESS before writing the
log, in which case CT gives you five columns of calls and 250 calls per
page.  You can print this at 10 pitch on your laser printer, but it requires
twice as many pages for the dupe sheet.  Anyway, thanks to Ken for the
convenience of the -HP feature!  (Maybe one of these days it should become
the default.)

If you weren't on the reflector when all this happened, you may have another
question about printing which you haven't asked yet.  Why does CT always
waste a blank sheet of paper after every file you print out?  The answer to
this is that ancient versions of DOS did not have a PRINT command.  Instead,
one used:
       TYPE filename > PRN
and this method required a page eject at the end of each file that is not
required by the modern print commands.  If you can remember to print your CT
files using this old way, you won't waste extra paper.  I am hoping that one
day soon CT will move into the modern world and eliminate this now archaic
page eject!

73, Bob, N6EK

WWW:                      http://ve7tcp.ampr.org/Lists/ct-user.html
Questions:                reisert@ve7tcp.ampr.org