DVP Card Hum Problem Summary

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: DVP Card Hum Problem Summary
From: w7zrc@micron.net (Rod Greene)
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 96 20:53 MST
Sorry this took so long, but I had hoped to find a solution and post the
revelation.
No luck this time.. But thanks to all who sent messages and offered suggestions.

-------Summary of responses to "DVP Card Problem at W7ZRC"----------

There were many helpful responses. Here's a summary with lots of good
suggestions. I wish one of them had fixed my problem. Any one want to
purchase my card for a nominal fee?   ;)

This sounds like the same problem WR3E had a while back.  He had an early
cable assembly with a metal hooded connector.  When we swapped it out, the
problem disappeared (his was a Kenwood cable I believe).  It was not a really
loud hum, but certainly annoying.  K1EA replaced it and it's working fine now.
(This was a brand new DVP and cable that he had let sit around a while before
installing).  73, Tyler KF3P

I once had an OMNI6 & found it very poor in regard to EMC.  Take a look at
the schematics & look what little they do on external connections to keep
crap out.  When it came to the mic, the problem is aggravated by a high
impedance (50k, I think) input - to get _anything_ to work required going
through an isolation transformer.

73, VS6BrettGraham aka VR2BG bagraham@hk.super.net

Hi Rod.

Try lifting one of the shields/grounds on one end of the
audio cables. I don't have a K1EA spcl, but use a SB Pro
card and a small TSR to play msgs, called CVB. Interface
was built my me and I spent many hrs debugging it in this
hostile RF enriched environment. 73 & GL de Walt - K2WK

K1VR replies:

        The last thing you want to do is take engineering advice from a
lawyer, but here's a solution to a Kenwood hum problem which plagued me
for YEARS.

        In the Kenwood world, there is a difference between chassis ground
and microphone audio ground.  Make sure you separate the two.  I didn't
know there was a difference, and had people complain to me forever, until
K2WR told me about this.  If this isn't your problem, at least I was
trying to be helpful.
--
                      Fred Hopengarten K1VR

I have the same problem with my TS 940.  When the DVP cable from the computer
is connected to the radio's front panel mic connector, I get the buzz/tone in
the headset.  The buzz/tone is not AF or RF gain control dependant.  When the
DVP cable is removed, the buzz/tone goes away.  Even if the computer is turned
off, the buzz/tone persists.  I've even disconnected the DVP cable from the
computer, with only the loose open ended cable connected to the radio, and the
buzz/tone is still there.

I thought it was just this one 940 that had the problem, since I connected a
different 940 and it didn't seem to have the problem.

Any suggestions????

73 James/kd1ng ..    >>  setzler@c813.npt.nuwc.navy.mil  <<