Interface for the FT-990 (and FT-1000 timeout prob)

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Interface for the FT-990 (and FT-1000 timeout prob)
From: gswanson@arrl.org (Swanson, Glenn, KB1GW)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 96 09:46:00 EST

     Greetings,

     Basically, the early FT-1000 radios had a EPROM that "locked up" the
front panel of the '1000 when CT tried to "read" data from the radio. If
your '1000 has a version 5.X or earlier version of the control firmware--CT
will not work. If, you have a version 6.X or above, then all should work FB.
(Same goes for the '990, I think.)

     1. To find your FT-1000 version, contact Yaesu. (There's a "power on"
sequence that will result in the display indicating the version you have.
HRO helped me by telling which keypad keys to hold in while powering up, but
I forget...)
If you have a version prior to 6.X, HRO said to contact Yaesu for a new
firmware chip.

     To quote from the FT-990 review in QST, Nov. '9, by 'Rus' Healy, NJ2L:

     "I mentioned in the FT-1000 review that Ken Wolf, K1EA, had plans to
support the FT-1000 (compatible with the FT-990) in his popular contest
program, CT. But when he found that it takes *four seconds* to read the
radio's status via the interface--during which time most of the radio's
front-panel functions lock up--he decided it wasn't worth the work. The snag
is that you can't read only one of the rig's parameters at a time (namely
the current VFO's frequency) via the serial interface--the rig sends *all*
of its current operating data in response to a status request."
     Well, these days, Yaesu has a fix (new chip), and CT software fully
supports the FT-1000. Contact Yaesu (per HRO, anyway) if you find that your
radio exhibits similar traits as those described above--then with the
addition of a proper (optional) radio-to-PC interface-- you'll be a hot-shot
in the *contest.

*Whew, got the "C" word in--just in time!

               Vry 73, Glenn, KB1GW