[ct-user] CT Network - Ethernet

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] CT Network - Ethernet
From: Swanson, Glenn, KB1GW" <gswanson@arrl.org (Swanson, Glenn, KB1GW)
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 15:18:00 -0400

Hello Gord,

Yea, I think someone will come forward with the Ethernet info again.

On a related subject, has anyone thought about porting CT to Unix,
(Linux, actually, which will run on a PC), as it's known for it's
multi-user capabilities? Wonder if a Linux box running CT could
then be hooked up to a bunch of simple terminals (via ethernet)
and make life easy for multi-ops?

Vry 73,
Glenn  KB1GW

P.S. Linux comes in several "distributions," but they are all based on the
same
basic underlying software. (A '386 or better with 8 Meg of RAM will do it
for you.)

For more info on the Linux operating system (a Unix work-alike), which is
free, BTW, see:
 -- The Linux Users' Guide at:
http://www.li.org/Resources/LDP/guide/guide.html

And,
 -- Linux Online - The Linux Home Page http://www.linux.org/
 -- The Debian distribution (of freeware):  http://www.us.debian.org/

 -- Debian Linux Installation & Getting Started:
  http://www.ssc.com/lg/issue15/debian.html

 --Finally to download Linux, see:  Installing Debian GNU/Linux 1.3
ftp://uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu/pub/systems/linux/sunsite/distributions/debian/
stable/disks-i386/current/install.html   (That's all on one line.) Scan down
the page 'til you get to the part that says: "Methods for Installing Debian"

Are hams using Linux?  See:
ftp://uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu/pub/systems/linux/sunsite/docs/HOWTO/
HAM-HOWTO

And,  ftp://amsat.org/amsat/software/Linux/

But you should be comfy with messing with a new operating system if you're
going to delve into this. We now return you to "CT and the case of the
missing VE section."

===