[ct-user] CT & Problems with IBM & Clones

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] CT & Problems with IBM & Clones
From: Howard Brainen" <hb@cpimaging.com (Howard Brainen)
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 16:09:40 -0800
On the subject of Macs for ham radio computing:

I usually stay out of these Mac vs PC discussions, but as
my perspective has changed over the past year I've decided
to weigh in on this one.

I too come from a long, happy Mac background.  I have
about a dozen of these elegant machines at work (we're
a photographic and digital imaging company), and I used
at least one or two desktop Macs, and a Powerbook notebook,
personally for about ten years.

That all changed about a year ago when, from a technical
standpoint, Apple let me down.  The big problem was the
inability to effectively multitask with the Mac.  You can't
even print a big document in the background without brutally
slowing down the foreground process.  Mac users get used
to the jumpy cursor and jerky screen action when they're
sending and receiving data in the background.  This is even
true on our Power Macs with more than 128mb of RAM.

I often find myself needing to do this type of multitasking.
I'm working on a Word document, got an Excel spreadsheet
going, and at the same time I want to be connected to
the internet, the office LAN, a central UNIX box through
a terminal emulation program...and, oh yes, maybe I'll check
the packet cluster.

Once I tried the above on a Pentium running Windows 95
(with only 32mb of RAM), I was sold.  And I was hurting
because I had been a Mac head for so long.  I didn't even
want to tell my friends!

I just can't see how one could use a Mac to do the things
we want with ham radio.  Its simply not the appropriate
machine technically.  And that's not just because the software
has been written for the mainstream PC's.  PC's are made
for the type of heavy duty, text based, lots of I/O demand
applications that we need.  I really can't see running high
rates in a dx contest and using a mouse to get around.  You
don't need a GUI to enter callsigns quickly and move on to
the next QSO.

So...we still use Macs for 90% of our graphics work.  But
the Windows boxes are starting to show up everywhere
in the company, and there's one in my office and two at
home.  I hate all the IRQ conflicts, I don't like Microsoft's
tactics or their stranglehold (with Intel) on the PC world,
but damn it, the machines work, they work fast, and the
price is right.

Happy Contesting...

73, Howard WZ6Z

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>