[ct-user] NETTSR info...

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] NETTSR info...
From: Bruce A. King" <baking@ziplink.net (Bruce A. King)
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 18:51:32 -0400
I've been trying to set up a CT Network using Ethernet using Dave's (K1TTT)
NETTSR. I got it to work today.

I now have two computers linked via Ethernet. One is a Pentium laptop using
a parallel port Ethernet connection, the other is an old 486 with an
internal Ethernet board. The keys to success for me included:

- Removing the Network Adapters from the operating configuration in Control
Panel, packets from other computers on
        the network were causing system hangs
- Finding the "right" Packet_id for starting the packet driver (thanks
Dennis, NB1B)

I am able to run CT on the 486 in a DOS Window under Windows 95 using
NETTSR. I engage CT using a batch file that follows this basic sequence:
        open a DOS window
        set path to desired CT directory
        load the packet driver specifying the packet_id (ether.com 0x6f)
        load NETTSR (nettsr 10.0.0.x 9x) using Dave's suggested settings
                the ip address is not critical, but each machine must be
different e.g.
10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2 etc
                the 9x refers to the com channel that will be used as the
Network in CT,
I used 98, com2, for mine
                because I have my radio on com3 and tnc on com4
        load the mouse driver if desired
        load comtsrs (comtsr3 and comtsr4 in my case)
        start CT

I don't bother to unload the tsr's because nettsr won't unload anyway, and
once the DOS window is closed, the virtual machine no longer exists and the
memory is released, (I think).

I'm running the laptop side directly under DOS because I got it to run that
way first, and it's only a test system right now. I did not have any
success running CT in a window with the parallel port Ethernet unit.

Next step, try it using Windows98. Any and all suggestions will be
appreciated.

Bruce W1CSM
baking@ziplink.net