[ct-user] Help: SAVELOG over-writes floppy-based .BIN file

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Help: SAVELOG over-writes floppy-based .BIN file
From: Tod Olson-MN" <tao@skypoint.com (Tod Olson-MN)
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 15:43:01 -0500
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who knows something about the
following problem.

Our group operated at the 5 watt level using batteries and solar power. To
minimize battery drain we ran CT8.53 from diskettes rather than using a
laptop with the HDD running. Some time after the contest (happily we had
already extracted the necessary log information), someone decided that we
should execute the command SAVELOG from the active program. The reasoning
was that a second copy of the log would be written to the same diskette that
contained the original FD99.bin file. There was some expectation that since
a file of that name already existed, either a FD99.bak file would be created
or a dialog box warning that the name FD99.bin already existed in the CT
directory would appear and the operator would be given a choice of aborting
the file write or allowed to rename the file to be created.

None of the above occurred and, instead, on that copy of the FD diskette a
clean version of FD99.bin was created with no log entries. The new file was
written on top of the old file which made restoration of the old data not an
option. If we did not have backup data this would have been a disaster.

My questions are:

1. Is this the way things operate or is there perhaps something that we did
   in setting up our diskette for operation from a diskette during the event
   that might have been flawed?

2. If this has happened before, was there a 'fix' that is a part of the CT8
   archives?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who may have dealt with this problem.
Thank you.

Tod Olson, K0TO