[ct-user] New Computer

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] New Computer
From: Ron Stordahl" <ron.stordahl@digikey.com (Ron Stordahl)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 23:11:04 -0500

:
: At 04:05 PM 7/14/99 -0500, Ron Stordahl wrote:
:
: >1)  I recommend the PCI cards from ByteRunner
http://www.byterunner.com/
: >Others might be fine, I just have no experience with others.
: >
: >Specifically I am using the PCI-210-5-2 which costs $70.00 plus shipping.
: >It will give you 2 serial and 1 parallel ports.  And it will take just 1
: >IRQ, in my case it uses IRQ 5.
:
: That's all well and good if you're using WINDOWS software, but it WON'T
: work for CT running under DOS (which is the only SUPPORTED way to run
: CT).  CT requires separate interrupts for each COM port, the only
exception
: being the DigiBoard, which has a special driver included with CT to
support
: it.  I suspect that these other IRQ-sharing boards would also require some
: sort of driver TSR to work with CT.
:
: 73 - Jim AD1C
:
: --
Jim:

I agree, but the original posting by Richard K5NA was about converting to
Windows from DOS and using DX4Win as a general logging program.  The PCI 2
serial/1 parallel card works well with DX4Win, is simple to install and uses
just 1 IRQ.  But Richard also wanted to keep using CT for contesting, just
as I do, but I indicated this would likely not wotk with Windows, as you
have correctly confirmed.

I look forward to using my Win98 system with a future Windows release of CT.

Once that is possible I can retire my old DOS box for good.  Any inkling of
what the future holds?

73 de Ron N5IN