[ct-user] Always check!

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Always check!
From: JAMES T BRANNIGAN" <JTBRANNIGAN@prodigy.net (JAMES T BRANNIGAN)
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 05:16:47 -0500
For many  years and several versions of CT, I have use the program with my
PK-232, OMNI-VI+.  Most of the time it has worked very well.

Last weekend CT-943 refused to "talk" to my OMNI-VI+ on COM2, also my keying
circut on COM1 was in a "key down" mode.  THe COM1 interface to my TNC
worked OK......I tried every setting on the rig and CT I could think of,
including trying older versions of CT....thinking it was a "blown" COM port,
I loaded WIN'98 and tried my logging program.  The logging program worked
fine with the OMNI and the TNC...back to DOS and CT no dice......After
several hours of trying I gave up in frustration, quit the contest and shut
everything down.......

This morning, during the usual delayed commute on the Long Island RR..I
started to list all the problems and possible solutions.....

Then I remembered that a week ago I had a boot failure on the computer and
had to reset the CMOS.....bingo!!!!
CT is a DOS program, my logging program is WIN'98 based....the COM ports are
controlled the CMOS and WIN 98 software respectively.....
I couldn't wait to get home to try out my theory......sure enough COM2 was
"disabled" on CMOS.....enabling COM2 solved the problem...

The moral of the tale....check ALL parameters and do it before the contest
starts......

73, Jim WB2TPS

PS: I still have a problem with the CW keying on COM1....I use COM1 to
"talk" to the TNC and key the rig.  I suspect it is the keying circuit ( I
hope it is and not the COM port)