[ct-user] FT-990

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] FT-990
From: Dan B Zeitlin <danzee@juno.com> (Dan B Zeitlin)
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 07:37:37 -0500
I have been using an FT-990 with CT for several years.  I have not
experienced any interface lock-up.  It works just fine.  There are two
criticisms I had at v 9.27, and to my knowledge they have not been fixed.
 One is that only the A VFO is tracked or controlled.  The other is that
the "clarifier" (10-4 good buddy) adjustments do not show up at the CT
end.  Thus, if you are creating a band map and using the Clarifier, the
frequency will not be correctly displayed if there is any offset set at
the 990.  These are not biggies.  Otherwise, it works perfectly.  As to
slowness, you just have to be sure you set the correct polling time.  I
do not hesitate recommending the 990 witt CT, or TRlog or NA for that
matter.  I have used it with all three.   I do not klnow about ROM
versions,.  I bought my FT-990 new in about 1994.

On my unit, the TTL low out of the FT-990 was not low enough to make
theTTL  input buffer in my homebrew interface work, so I had to pull it
down a bit more.  But that was a hardware problem, not really a
compatibility one.

Dan Z
K2YWE

Dan Zeitlin, Annapolis, MD
<danzee@juno.com>    no attachments
<k2ywe@yahoo.com>  attachments OK
<dan_b_zeitlin@md.northgrum.com>

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000 10:31:34 -0500 Charlie and Janet Ross
<ross_family@acm.org> writes:

>I'm considering buying a Yaesu FT-990.  I would like to
>computer-control it
>with CT.
>
>I'm interested in feedback from any 990 users.  Either general
>comments
>(how well do they play together) or comments on the following topic:
>
>The 1991 QST product review says the original control interface was
>impractical--locked the radio up for four seconds.  I assume this was
>eventually fixed?  I've seen a reference to an EPROM revision.  If I
>end up
>with a unit before the fix was put in place, is the retrofit available
>from
>Yaesu?
>
>Tnx & 73,
>
>--Charlie, NC1N

>                     ross_family@acm.org
>Charlie Ross                         Janet Ross
>Amateur Radio Operator NC1N          Cross-Stitch Enthusiast
>

>--
>Submissions:              ct-user@contesting.com
>Administrative requests:  ct-user-REQUEST@contesting.com
>WWW:                      http://www.k1ea.com/