[ct-user] Why fight? Use real DOS.

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Why fight? Use real DOS.
From: Richard & Martha Wilder <wilder@abs.net> (Richard & Martha Wilder)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:00:32 -0400 (EDT)
I keep reading about the troubles with trying to run CT in Windows or
Wondows-DOS.  I understand CT is made for DOS (except one Win version
which I haven't tried) so why fight with Windows?  I'm not smart
enough to solve the Windows problem so I've always used MS-DOS.
Why not do the following?
  Be sure your setup looks to A: and then C: for boot.
  Prepare a floppy that boots DOS
     DOS 3.1 is fine though the 1994 version (6.22) is the latest.
     Include a text editor and few other files needed at boot.
     Setting up the CONFIG' and AUTOEXEC' files will take some time.
  Make directories:
     C:\DOS into which you put all of your DOS files
     C:\CT into which you have all CT stuff
     Probably set path in AUTOEXEC.BAT to only see C:\DOS & C:\CT.
  Put floppy into the A: drive, turn on the power, and you're
  running happy with DOS.

You've discarded your old DOS manual. Shame!  But, you may find
another manual at an used book sale for a buck, or so.  Don't
sweat that it is for a different version of DOS than you are
running.  The commands that you need in the CONFIG.SYS and
AUTOEXEC.BAT files will probably be the same.

I only use DOS-6.22 on three computers in the shack.   We use
Windows98 on two other computers for the web.  Though, we boot
the Win98 computers on a DOS floppy to do our email.

73, Dick, K3DI
  Dick's lifetime address is k3di@arrl.net