[ct-user] CT Network Question - LONG runs?

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] CT Network Question - LONG runs?
From: Filip Jonckers <fjonckers@Interconnect.be> (Filip Jonckers)
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 22:13:49 +0200

We at OTxL are using UTP cabling with great success !
It's cheap, and my experience is that it has much less problems
with EMI/RFI than RG-58 thinnet ethernet
Of course everything depends upon the quality of the cable ...

you can use a small hub (ex: 3Com 8 port TP hubs) which are
equiped with 1 BNC port and 8 ore more UTP ports.
you can put the rg58 ethernet network on the BNC port and
the UTP cabling on the other ports.

IF you use twisted pair UTP cabling, make shure you
correctly connect the pairs to the RJ45 jacks !!
The correct connections are listed in standards like 568A or 568B ...

messed up the twisted pairs can result in RFI problems...

even better is FTP cabling which has an extra "coat" to protect
against RFI

if you have enough $$ you can always use fiber optic cable :-)
(OTxL is using it with great success..)

hope this will help ....

Filip, ON1AFN