[ct-user] Re: More WinMe Questions

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Re: More WinMe Questions
From: Jim Brannigan" <jbrannig@optonline.net (Jim Brannigan)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:41:52 -0500
Thanks to all of you for your ideas.......

I'm starting to work through this. So far I uninstalled the board, deleted
all the files and set Com1 and Lpt1 in CMOS (instead of AUTO). This got the
machine back to normal.
Interestingly, after I changed the CMOS settings, Logic 5 would not run and
had to be reinstalled.  I will keep all informed on my progress.

> Jim,
>
> Your setup sounds very much like mine -- CT and LOGic 5 on a WinMe machine
> with an SIIG board.  I don't experience lockup problems in either CT or
> LOGic 5 (though of course I can't use both at the same time).  I don't
think
> drivers are your problem.  I made NO driver changes when I switched from
> Win98 to WinMe.  It sounds like the SIIG board might have "stolen" one or
> more of the COMM ports that your LOGic setup is expecting to use.  I had
> that problem at first -- in my case I think it was the packet connection,

When, in Logic5, I tried to set up my TNC on the new COM2, I got a
"hardware" error message and the machine locked up.

> possibly also the CW keyer.  There was also a conflict between the new
COMM
> port IRQs and my CD-ROM drive.
>
> The solution was to find an IRQ combination that would work with the SIIG
> board in the mix.  So I'd say, don't give up.  Replacing the SIIG board
with
> something else isn't going to change anything. You're still going to have
> sort out IRQ assignments, regardless of what you use to add COMM ports.
> Unless you simply didn't have enough usable IRQs to install additional
COMM