[ct-user] Paddle input- Why?

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Paddle input- Why?
From: alsopb <alsopb@gloryroad.net> (alsopb)
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 16:13:46 +0000
I'll plead ignorance this issue.

Why does the CT program have to have paddle input?  Can't a separate
keyer in parallel with the key jack perform the same function?

Are some people out there entering the call into the call field via
the keyer?

I guess I just type in the call/exchage and use the separate keyer
only for fills.  It certainly can be set at a lower speed.

As for the extra hardware required by a keyer,  Heck, I have a Curtis
keyer chip mounted on top of the paddle. It runs for years on a 9 volt
battery.

It seems that short of implementing artificial intelligence, it would
be difficult for the program to sort out field info entered from the
paddle vs other "fill" type info.

If you have to toggle it on and off via something like ALT-K, it would
seem to be a bigger pain than it's worth.

I'd really appreciate knowing why this is "needed".  I understand
other contest programs have a paddle input function.  What does it
exactly do other than sending CW?

73 de Brian/K3KO