[ct-user] network update

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] network update
From: NQ4I@compuserve.com (Rick Dougherty)
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:45:57 -0400
Woke up at 0430 this morning and went ight to work on the network
problem...back to basics...found the 15m and 10m computers when linked
would communicate...ie the network cards were ok...just started adding in
computers until I found that the cards in the 20m and 40m computers were
toast too...they were part of the origional 6 cards that
probably got some sort of lightning damage...just guessing it was induced
somewhere...in any case all 6 of the origional cards are history...I had 4
spares and they are installed and working...will get another batch (they
are fairly cheap) and will have enough for spares for the next time...whats
interesting to note is that any one computer with a bad card can pull the
whole network down...the system is daisy chained with rg-72 coax and
terminating resistors at the two ends...it has been one of the biggest
improvements in our multi-multi environment in the past 5 years...having a
dependable and reliable network with an internet connection via
DX-telnet...thanks to all who offered advice...de Rick