[ct-user] CW, CT and the FT1000MP

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] CW, CT and the FT1000MP
From: jallen@vhfcom.com (John Allen)
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 07:51:18 -0500
I also had a lockup problem with CT and LPT CW and keyer and FT1000D and the
solution turned out to be very unusual -
I first tried all sorts of ferrites on the keying cables etc.  BUT (and
don't ask me how I got to this discovery - I don't remember!)  THE SOLUTION
WAS to pull the phono plug from the CT LPT interface to the rig/keyer OUT
until the shield was not connected, only the center pin of the phono plug.
Presto Magic - no more lockup.  Since there were multiple ground paths,
including the safety ground for the power line, the keying still worked.

Why did this work?  I don't know for sure, but I surmise that it was a RF
related "ground loop" where current was flowing through that shield onto the
computer chassis and causing the problem.  Why didn't the ferrite clamp ons
stop the ground loop?  I don't know, maybe not enough impedance - I did not
try a real large toroid that could take several turns, just about 8 1 turn
clamp ons.  Note - the antennas are 100 feet away and 100 feet up.

Good Luck, hope this helps.

73 es KB March 2/3!  John K1AE