Re: [ct-user] Finding Six Banders?

To: ct-user@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [ct-user] Finding Six Banders?
From: K4SB <k4sb@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 05:35:10 +0000
K4RO Kirk Pickering wrote:
> What is the easiest way to find all of the
> calls that were worked on all six bands?

Well, to keep it as simple as possible, let's assume you have some
form of BASIC on your machine.

FIRST! Make a BACKUP of your log.

Now, edit your cabrillo log and remove everything from the header and
the "end of log" line at the bottom. Save it. Now, EDIT the file and
use the right arrow key, and position it right over the first letter
of the first call/ Look at the bottom of the screen and it will tell
you what column that is.

It then becomes fairly simple to set up a routine as follows:

10 Open "C:\CT\K4RO.DAT" FOR OUTPUT AS #2 'NEW FILE NAME
20 OPEN "C:\CT\K4RO.LOG" FOR INPUT AS #1
30 IF EOF(1) THEN END ELSE INPUT #1 C$
40 REM Calls usually start in a CAB log at position 63, or 56 so..
50 D$=MID$(C$,63,15) 'GET 15 LETTERS STARTING AT POSITION 63
60 REM If you don't get the first letter of the call, adjust line 50
to say (C$,56, 15 )
70 R=INSTR(4,D$," "): REM Find the first "space mark" after the end of
call and
80 CL$=LEFT$(D$,R-1): REM We now have just the call called CL$ and we
write it to a file.
90 PRINT CL$: PRINT #2,CL$;GOTO 30

Now, K4RO.DAT will have every call in the log.

Next, from a DOS prompt or whatever, enter this command.

SORT < K4RO.DAT > K4RO.CAL This syntax MUST be as shown.

OK, now looking at K4RO.CAL, the calls are all sorted alphabetically,
and we can see how many appear on all 6 or whatever bands. If you
want, you can write another routine which will count how many
identical calls are present and print a number after the call.

If you want, you can merge other logs with this one and then and sort
them. Change the word "OUTPUT" in line 10 to "APPEND" and put the new
log name in line 20. Then run it, sort it and you have the 2 merged.

There will be a short quiz.

73
Ed