[ct-user] CT networking -- 16 limit -- Field Day application

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] CT networking -- 16 limit -- Field Day application
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 12:14:32 -0400
We at the W3AO (PVRC and local club CARA) Field Day group have been using CT
to log every year.  We used the regular two-serial-port CT network for years
then went to ethernet three or four years ago and keep trying to refine what
we're doing.  We were 51 transmitter last year, 38 another year, 35 another
year, etc. -- the number has been going up.

We are now up against the limit of 16 computers connected.  With separate
stations on 160, 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 on each of the "bandmodes"
permitted -- CW, SSB and digital -- that's 18 on HF alone, plus the "bonus"
"Get on the Air Station" (GOTA), which makes 19 on HF.  We have always
delegated "VHF-plus" to a separate VHF group with "rovermobiles," etc. but
for a year or two have been discussing handling the 6M and 2M operating more
like we handle HF, with a dedicated operator for a bandmode.  We would like
to add them to the network.  We may have had one VHF station networked in
during some years.

Is it possible to increase the number from 16?  I assume this is software
related but you may have some hardware limit you're working with.  ?

Alternatively, would it be possible to somehow have a second set of up to 16
computers in a second network but have a computer, perhaps one of the first
16, as sort of a bridge to the second set?

I understand that this will probably require some work on your part, Ken,
and will only happen if you think it's a worthwhile project -- if it's at
all possible.  ?

Tnx and 73 - Rich, KE3Q