Re: [ct-user] Successfully booted DOS from CD and ran CT from USBstick

To: kd4d@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [ct-user] Successfully booted DOS from CD and ran CT from USBstick
From: Ken Wolff <ken@k1ea.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:20:40 -0500
kd4d@comcast.net wrote:

Good afternoon, all:

I have been successful creating a MS-DOS boot CD, containing a
minimal MS-DOS installation, and running CT entirely from a USB
memory stick.

I have not been able to test this in combat conditions yet, but
it is working.  Any volunteers?

I installed CT 10.002.001 on the USB stick and fired up the CQWW.
CW sending seems to be working.

The really neat thing about this is that I can download all of the
CT files, cty.dat, and master.dta in Windows and write them to the
USB stick in Windows.  Then, reboot from the CD and go.

Basically, I booted the CD, with a minimal autoexec.bat and config.sys:

autoexec.bat
path=a:\;a:\dos71
smartdrv a+ c+

config.sys
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS /testmem:off
DEVICE=emm386.exe noems
DOS=high,umb
FILES=30
BUFFERS=20

LASTDRIVE=Z

The CD appears as a:.  My USB stick happened to be D:, but yours
would probably be c:.

I put the CT files in D:\CT10 and created a log directory
d:\logs\ct.  I put master.dta and cty.dat in the d:\logs\ct
directory (the way I like to configure), and entered
path=d:\ct10;%path%.

Then,
D:
cd logs\ct
ct

and started CT.

Using this technique, I can run CT under pure DOS on any
computer that supports booting from CD AND has bios
recognition of a USB stick without affecting the computer AT
ALL, without repartitioning the disk, and without permanately
installing DOS.

If anyone wants the procedure for creating the bootable CD,
drop me an e-mail. I am looking for volunteers to try this in a real contest.

73,

Mark, KD4D

That is very cool. When you think all is ready, can you send me a copy, so I can try it on my laptop?

Thanks - Ken