[ct-user] CT-MFJ 434

To: ct-user@contesting.com
Subject: [ct-user] CT-MFJ 434
From: Bob Schreibmaier <k3ph@ptd.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:31:19 -0500
Okay, gang.  I guess I should have tried this first.

I pulled out an old WinBook XL laptop running W98SE.
I tend not to try anything on it, just because it
is a laptop that won't run off the battery and the
hard drive is beginning to fail (sometime laptop!).
And it's only a 400 MHz AMD processor.  But, I'm
desperate!

In any case, I tried running CTWin 10.02.03 from
it and was able to get it to key the DVK.  Thanks
to K3CT for a heads-up: I needed to run through
the F1 through F4 and ESC keys on the keyboard
and THEN hook up the DVK.  After that, it seemed
to work.

So, it appears there is something not set up
properly with the LPT1 port on the shack computer.
Guess I have some detective work to do there.

It also looks like CTWin doesn't necessarily set
up the LPT1 port properly.  You shouldn't have
to cycle through the function and escape keys
and then hook up the DVK.

An interesting data point is that, on the shack
computer, hooking up LPT1 to the MFJ-434 causes
the buttons on the MFJ-434 to not work, too!
Apparently, the 434 is being put in some strange
mode.  Cycling through the function and escape
keys doesn't seem to help there.  Disconnecting
from LPT1 and re-powering the 434 seems to be the
only thing that fixes it.

Time to scratch my head again.  I have a few weeks
to work this out before CQWW Phone.  :-)

On the other hand, I could always use CT-DOS in
a DOS window and grab spots from DXTelnet.

Thanks for all the help, gang!

73,
Bob