[ct-user] K3 radio control from a laptop without COMPORTS

To: ct-user@contesting.com
Subject: [ct-user] K3 radio control from a laptop without COMPORTS
From: K1ZM@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 06:34:07 EST

Hi All

I am trying to use CTWIN running on an XP laptop to control a K3  radio.

The laptop has no comports nor lpt port on it - only 3 USB ports.

The K3 comes with a USB to serial port adapter cable that is used to set a
template of memories in the radio.  This works FINE on the laptop - so the
cable is GOOD.

I cannot make this cable work with CTWIN though to control the radio -
WINDOWS system folder says the serial port is assigned COM6.

I set the SETUP file in CT to COM6 at 4800 baud.  The K3 RS232 port is  set
to 4800 baud.

I selected K3 as RADIO 1 in the CT WIN setup mask.

But nothing happens over on the radio when I boot up the BIN file.

It is DEAD.

Is this an issue where CT(even CT WIN) cannot interface to a USB  port?

I think this may work using a PCMCIA card - I haven't tried that way yet to
derive a COMPORT on the laptop.  I know one time I did try this and it  worked
on CTWIN to make a NETWORK over to CTWIN running on a WIN 98 Machine in
windows mode.

Is this a USB issue and CTWIN being incompatible?

But can you please comment on what you think?

Tks

73 JEFF

Awards.  AOL Music takes you there.
(http://music.aol.com/grammys?ncid=emlcntusmusi00000002)