[na-user] NA Annoucement

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] NA Annoucement
From: dap14@chrysler.com (dap14@chrysler.com)
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 22:10:41 -0400
     To: All NA Users

     From: Dave Pruett, K8CC

     In the near future, there are going to be changes in the way
     the NA Contest Logging Program is marketed, distributed and
     supported.  I would like to take this opportunity to share
     with you what is going on with the NA program and some exciting
     developments to come.

     Virtually every NA user has dealt at some time with LTA (the
     sole source for NA) and it's proprietor, Tim Duffy, K3LR.  The
     past few years have seen significant changes for Tim in his
     personal life which have placed additional demands on his time.
     With regret, Tim has informed me that he can no longer devote
     sufficient time to keep LTA going so he intends to cease
     operations in the near future.  LTA will not have a booth at the
     1997 Dayton Hamvention.

     Therefore, as of May 15, 1997, LTA will no longer be providing
     marketing, distribution, or user support for the NA Contest
     Logging Program.

     A new era for NA begins on May 16, 1997, a date that
     conveniently coincides with the first day of the 1997 Dayton
     Hamvention.  As of that date, retail marketing and distribution
     for NA will be through the Radio Bookstore.  Craig Clark, W1JCC,
     President, is the former assistant publisher of the late (but
     not forgotten) HAM RADIO magazine, a former ARRL and CQ staffer,
     and an active low-band DXer.

     Radio Bookstore has been in business for over twenty years
     providing books, software, and publications for all kinds of
     amateur, SWL, and CB radio operators.  They are open throughout
     the normal business day and can receive orders by voice 800
     number, fax, or e-mail.  They can accept credit cards, and offer
     same day shipping.  Their address:

                       Radio Bookstore
                       P. O. Box 209
                       Rindge, NH  03461  USA
                       800 457-7373 order line
                       603 899-6957
                       603 899-6826 fax
                       e-mail: nx1g@monad.net
                       www.radiobooks.com

     While Radio Bookstore will provide a retail source for new NA
     programs and upgrades, user support and upgrade maintenence will
     be taken over by DATOM Engineering.  Some of you may have seen
     the DATOM name on certain hardware products sold by LTA - the
     Remote Band Controller for Icom radios and the Universal
     Interface for CW keying and external voicekeyer control.  DATOM
     Engineering is NA program author Dave Pruett, K8CC and his
     brother Tom Pruett, WB8VMN, who is the author of the Contest
     Voice Blaster program (CVB).

     For user support, DATOM has already established an easy to
     remember e-mail address for NA and CVB questions:

                      DATOM@contesting.com

     By Dayton we expect to have an Internet WWW site on-line,
     initially with a catalog of DATOM products, ordering information
     with links to the Radio Bookstore WWW page, and program support
     information.  By early June we expect to be able to offer
     Internet downloads of NA and CVB upgrades, and also a
     subscription service where users can automatically receive via
     e-mail each new program version as its released.  DATOM will
     also continue to be active on the NA-USER Internet Reflector.

     For users without Internet access, the NA USER HELPLINE will be
     moved to DATOM and be supported on a one day per week basis.
     The HELP LINE will be manned at (313) 481-0696 on Wednesday
     evenings ONLY from 9-11 PM.  At other times, the HELP LINE will
     forward into phone mail, and we will return calls from
     registered NA users.

     K3LR has agreed to keep the LTA BBS on-line until the end of
     December 1997.  Once the DATOM Web site is set up for NA program
     downloads, all current registered NA10 users will be granted
     priviledges for a period of time up to a date twelve months from
     their last NA purchase, or September 1, 1997, whichever is later.
     Twelve month extentions available for $10.  NA9 support will be
     phased out at the end of 1997 - prior to that time, registered
     NA9 users may still upgrade to a full package of the latest NA10
     available from RBS at the reduced upgrade price.

     Those of us involved with the NA Contest Logging Program believe
     wholeheartedly that these changes will significantly improve the
     convenience and quality of service available to most NA users.
     We would like to thank Tim Duffy and LTA for seven years of
     service to the NA user community and we wish them well in the
     future.

     Those of you coming to the 1997 Dayton Hamvention will find both
     NA and CVB available for sale at the Radio Bookstore exhibit at
     booth 68-69 in the main arena.

     73,

     Dave Pruett, K8CC

     DATOM@contesting.com

     P.S.:  All registered NA9 and NA10 users will receive a hard copy of
            this announcement in the mail in a few days.  Folks on the
            NA-USER reflector get the news first.

--
Submissions:              na-user@ve7tcp.ampr.org
Administrative requests:  na-user-REQUEST@ve7tcp.ampr.org