[na-user] KG4 identification

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] KG4 identification
From: David A. Pruett" <k8cc@ix.netcom.com (David A. Pruett)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 23:22:05 -0500
A few users have e-mailed me about working KG4DZ or some other Guantanamo
Bay station and NA identifies this as USA.

The "foreign" USA calls have proven to be a problem from day one.  For
example, KG4W is an active contester in VA, so what is KG4, USA or Gitmo.
The same situation has existed with KC6, KC4, etc.

One solution is to treat five digit calls with these certain prefixes as
DX, and the others as USA.  I thought this had been implemented in NA a
year ago, but I will look into it.

I have not checked the country files (please excuse me, I just got back
from C6A this evening) but the problem might occur if there is no "KG4"
entry in the prefix list for Guantanamo.  If there is only specific KG4
callsigns, then things won't work.

Check your country file and if needed add a simple "KG4" to the prefix list
and see if things work.  I'll do the same and report back later.

73, Dave/K8CC

Home phone: (734) 481-0755
Home email: k8cc@ix.netcom.com
Work phone: (313) 493-2168