[na-user] /M and /MM stations

To: <>
Subject: [na-user] /M and /MM stations
From: David A. Pruett" < (David A. Pruett)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 23:23:46 -0500
Doug, W4OX asked a question about mobile (/M) and maritime mobile (/MM)
stations and how to log them correctly such that these don't show up and
English countries.  He correctly identifies how this problem occurs - the
question is how to deal with it.

>From one viewpoint, why log the /M at all?  We had a number of cases at
WP3X where a station would show up as /M one time and not /M another.  Does
it really matter?  Perhaps it might for QSLing, but even then how do you
KNOW he is mobile?  Personally, this is the same category as /QRP - its an
issue between the other station and an awards manager.

I can see that maritime mobile would be different, the station is out on a
ship and probably in a different ITU or CQ zone.

The only way to REALLY fix this is to make /M and /MM not valid callsign
configurations.  M/K8CC would be decoded as England but K8CC/M would be
mobile.  What is the concensus of the users?

Home phone: (734) 481-0755
Home email:
Work phone: (313) 493-2168
Work email: