[na-user] /M and /MM stations

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] /M and /MM stations
From: Bob Patten <n4bp@bc.seflin.org> (Bob Patten)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 03:19:14 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, David A. Pruett wrote:

> >From one viewpoint, why log the /M at all?  We had a number of cases at
> WP3X where a station would show up as /M one time and not /M another.  Does
> it really matter?  Perhaps it might for QSLing, but even then how do you
> KNOW he is mobile?  Personally, this is the same category as /QRP - its an
> issue between the other station and an awards manager.
I answered Doug too quickly on this one.  I did suggest the same as you
on the /M however.  If the fellow wants a QSL with /M on it, he will
indicate this on the card that he sends.  Also, it could be indicated in
a note associated with the QSO that he was mobile.

> I can see that maritime mobile would be different, the station is out on a
> ship and probably in a different ITU or CQ zone.
> The only way to REALLY fix this is to make /M and /MM not valid callsign
> configurations.  M/K8CC would be decoded as England but K8CC/M would be
> mobile.  What is the concensus of the users?
I suggested to Doug that he log the MM region (/R2 for example) as is
done in the 10M contest.  But in the ARRL DX contest, the MM regions are
not mults.  I don't have the rules with me here at work.  What does the
MM station send as his "country"?  I think I recall seeing where a MM
counts only for point value and not as a mult...

           73,
                                   ,'' '',
     Bob Patten, N4BP              ( 0 0 )               Plantation, FL

                         E-Mail: n4bp@bc.seflin.org
              Web Page: http://wg104a.wh.uni-stuttgart.de/~n4bp
                     Brass Pounder BBS: (954) 472-7715