[na-user] More about /M and /MM

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] More about /M and /MM
From: David A. Pruett" <k8cc@ix.netcom.com (David A. Pruett)
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 17:15:43 -0500
<< Doug, W4OX asked a question about mobile (/M) and maritime mobile (/MM)
 stations and how to log them correctly such that these don't show up and
 English countries.  He correctly identifies how this problem occurs - the
 question is how to deal with it.

 From one viewpoint, why log the /M at all?  We had a number of cases at
 WP3X where a station would show up as /M one time and not /M another.
Does
 it really matter?  >>

>YES, it does.  In VHF contests it is very common to work a station from
his
>home QTH and also when he is mobile.  Both are perfectly valid contacts.
In
>most VHF contests, I work about 5% of the operators both fixed and mobile.
>This also happens occasionally in HF contests such as Sweepstakes.
>Doug  W0AH

I don't believe that is correct at all.  Simply operating from your mobile
does
not qualify as another legitmate contact.  If you are in a different
geographic
unit (state, grid square, or whatever) then most contests allow multiple
QSOs.
This is where NA's "QTH MUST MATCH FOR DUPE" feature comes into play, most
often
used with regards to reovers in VHF contests.  However, this has
***NOTHING***
to do with logging the station as /M or not.

BTW, I had to use CT during our stint as one of the 20M ops at WP3X, and it
does
***NOT*** allow multiple QSOs with different geographic units.  This
happened
on a few occasions over the course of ARRL DX SSB last weekend.

73,

Dave/K8CC

Home phone: (734) 481-0755
Home email: k8cc@ix.netcom.com