[na-user] NA Memory Problem

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] NA Memory Problem
From: David A. Pruett" <k8cc@ix.netcom.com (David A. Pruett)
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 20:56:43 -0400
NN9K wrote:

>Just installed 10.28 on my Toshiba 440CDX and completed the CONFIG
program.
>(Am running Windows 95 but booted up in DOS mode). Everything seems to
work
>fine except when I try to use either of the ARRL VHF programs. I get
>through the select bands window, press CONTROL/ENTER and get the following

>message "Error 07 occurred in Module 1028 at address 3666:07B7" Also tried

>the  -R switch and the same thing happened
>As I said everything works fine in other programs I have checked, CQ WPX
>and the practice programs. Tried the same thing on a DELL workstation and
>had no problems with the VHF programs at all. Realize it's probably
>equipment dependent but thought you ought to know about the error message.

>Oh, memory is no problem, the note book has an extra 48 Meg installed.

Error 07 is Microsoft's error code for "Out of Memory".

You see, memory *IS* a problem for NA because it is a DOS mode program.
Therefore it can only use the 640K memory space to hold itself and most of
its data.  AS the program gets bigger, there is less space for data.  This
is why we've been VERY careful over the years to code things efficiently.

(NA can use XMS memory for storing the QSO records but that's about all.
There are reasons for this that are beyond the scope of this reflector.)

The reason why it will run on the desktop but not the laptop is likely that
there are different utilities loaded at startup and hence the amount of
free memory is different.  After the computer boots, do a "MEM" command
and you'll likely see a big difference between the desktop and laptop.
I'll bet you have a big PCMCIA driver loaded on the laptop that's missing
from the desktop.  This thing can be 50K or more.

The reason it crashes in the VHF contests is the number of multipliers eats
memory.  Do you know how many possible grid squares there are?  I'll tell
you - 32400.  Multiply that by four bytes per grid and you'll see 128K of
memory sail out the window.

All is not lost.  To deal with this and not inconvenience the user too
much,
we added the -GW command line switch.  This stands for "<G>rids <W>estern
only".  For those of us in the USA, this switch frees up a bunch of memory
and allows the program to run.  It's no big deal unless you're working
moonbounce to the other side of the world.

73,

Dave/K8CC

those of us in the USA, this switch

Home phone: (734) 481-0755