[na-user] New IARU Rules

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] New IARU Rules
From: David A. Pruett" <k8cc@ix.netcom.com (David A. Pruett)
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 20:02:55 -0400
To All NA Users:

Bill, W4AN called me last night to talk about the new rules for IARU (new
rules?  what new rules).  Looking at my April 1998 QST, page 109, there are
four new multipliers: "AC" for IARU Administrative Council, and also "R1",
"R2" and "R3" for members of the IARU executive committees in Region 1,
Region 2, or Region 3.  Section (8) Multipliers reads "Total number of ITU
zones plus IARU member-society HQ stations and IARU officials worked on
each frequency band, with IARU officials representing a maximum of four
multipliers per band: AC, R1, R2 and R3."

Some have interpreted these rules to mean that each IARU official is his or
her own separate mult.  (For example VE3XYZ is AC and XE1XXX is AC this
counts as two mults.)  To me, the wording of the rules does not seem to
support this.  I interpret the rules to mean that AC, R1, R2, and R3 are
legitimate multipliers on each band (not band-mode; mults are counted by
band).  Therefore there are 90 possible ITU zone mults, four IARU officals
mults, plus the HQ stations.

Logging IARU official mults in NA is possible by treating them as HQ
stations; i.e., the first time you try to log them the program will ask you
if you want to add them to the list.

73,

Dave Pruett, K8CC
DATOM Engineering